How to Make a Texas Homecoming Mum
How to make a Texas-sized homecoming mum!
- hot glue
- hot glue gun
- industrial stapler
- 2" ribbons of the school colors - a bolt of each color - you'll reuse them each year besides the senior year, the mums are white
- lighting system - can be found in the floral department of any hobby store
- cute bear or other stuffed animal
- boa - the more the better
- silk mums (or if you want to be more contemporary, use other types of flowers
- assorted chains of football-inspired trinkets
- large whistle
- assorted trinkets to glue onto streamers and mums - cheerleaders, your school mascot, etc.
- bling - the more the better.
- glitter spray
- leather straps (I purchased a few belts from Target and cut them up)
- optional: sony media player for your stuffed toy to hold
- cut out the cardboard in the shape of the mum you desire. I chose hearts this year.
- with the darker colored ribbon, start folding the ribbon into a 'v' shape and staple around the entire frame.
- follow this pattern with the lighter color ribbon.
- back this frame with boa.
- start adding streamers, cut to any length you wish, but should be around 3.5 to 4' Staple the streamers to the cardboard
- add the chains
- add another layer of cardboard - this is where the mums will be glued on with hot glue.
- glue on the mums, there shouldn't be any space
- add the lighting system and make sure the switch is easily accessible and that there are batteries in the jacket
- glue on the stuffed animal to the center
- glue the media player to the stuffed animal and work the headphones through so she can easily access them during class
- glue the trinkets, ribbons onto the mums and finish off with glitter spray
- decorate your streamers with the couples' names and bling these streamers out the most
- decorate about 70% of the remaining streamers and leave the rest as blank ribbon
- bling anything that looks boring
- now, time to add the straps - cut the leather pieces into two shoulder straps and glue to the back of the cardboard.
- now, apply a third cardboard to fasten the straps
- add any material you wish to the backing of the mum - I chose a faux fur fabric so she'd have something cozy against her